Financial Aid Checklist (2024)

  • Apply
  • Visit
  • Give Now

Financial, Billing and Enrollment Center

  • Close

    • Payment Options
    • Make an Online Payment
    • Refund Processing
    • Tuition Insurance
    • Billing FAQs
  • Close

    • Types of Aid
    • Financial Aid Checklist
    • Cost of Attendance
  • Close

    • Student Request Information
    • Get Ready For Class
    • Graduation Planning System
    • Credit Transfer
  • Policies

    ClosePolicies Overview

    • Policies Home Page
    • Registration and Records Policies
  • Info For ...

    CloseInfo For ... Overview

    • Financial Wellness
    • How To Videos


For New, Current or Transfer Students in Undergraduate or Graduate Programs

As a new, transferring or returning undergraduate or graduate student, we encourage you to explore your financial aid options, including loans, grants, scholarships and other tuition assistance.

Follow our step-by-step checklist to get started.

Step 1: Apply/Renew Scholarships
  • If you are a new or transfer undergraduate student, apply for admission to Kent State by Feb. 1 to receive your best financial aid offer.
    • First-year freshman who apply by Feb. 1 will automatically be considered for first-year merit scholarships.
    • If you're a transfer student, check your deadlines for merit scholarships.
    • Remember to submit your final high school, dual credit or college transcripts.
  • All students can conduct a scholarship search.
  • If you are a returning student, you may be eligible to renew your current Kent State scholarships:
    • If your current scholarship is a renewable scholarship, it will be renewed automatically if you meet the renewal criteria. Renewal criteria can be viewed in FlashLine > Student > Scholarships and Financial Aid > Financial Aid Awards > Award Overview > Click on the name of each scholarship to view renewal criteria.
    • If your current scholarship is a non-renewable scholarship, you will have to reapply to be considered for the scholarship during the upcoming year.
  • If you are a graduate student, check with the Graduate College and your College to find major specific scholarship opportunities and explore Graduate Assistantship opportunities.
Step 2: Apply for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal and state financial aid programs each academic year. To ensure maximum eligibility, complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1 each year. File no later than Feb. 1 to be considered for your best financial aid offer.
    • Parents may apply for a PLUS Loan (optional for undergraduate students)
    • Graduate Students: The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is available to students who may need to borrow additional funds.
  • If requested, complete the verification process or Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal prior to receiving federal financial aid. To view your financial aid status or any other outstanding requirement, go to FlashLine > Scholarships and Financial Aid > Financial Aid Status.
  • If your submitted FAFSA is no longer an accurate representation of your family's current financial situation, consider completing a special circ*mstance application.
Semester you plan to attendYou will submit this FAFSAYou can submit the FAFSAUsing income and tax information
Summer 2024, Fall 2024, Spring 20252024-2025Now2022
Summer 2025, Fall 2025, Spring 20262025-2026TBD2023
Step 3: View and Accept Financial Aid Awards
  • You will be notified when you can view and accept/decline/reduce your financial aid awards (including federal aid, state aid and university scholarships) in FlashLine under Financial Aid Awards.
    • First-time federal loan borrowers: Sign the Master Promissory Note and complete Entrance Counseling. You must complete these to receive federal aid. As a part of Entrance Counseling, you will receive information regarding Direct Loans, budgeting your expenses, repayment options and your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. In order to use your federal student aid for non-institutional charges, complete your Title IV authorization.
    • Returning federal loan borrowers: Monitor federal loan borrowing, view loan history and find servicer information on
  • Report outside scholarships, awards and other tuition assistance you are bringing to Kent State on the Resources/Additional Information tab in FlashLine.
  • If you are a transfer student, contact your current school's financial aid office and cancel any undisbursed financial aid, including loans and grants. Students cannot receive federal aid at more than one school at a time.
Step 4: Updates, Gap Funding and Payments
  • Check your Kent State University email address regularly for important information and updates from the university.
  • Review information about authorization of Title IV aid (federal aid) under the Financial Aid section of FlashLine.
  • Explore Federal Tuition Assistance for military-connected students.
  • If you still need help covering your college expenses, explore gap funding.
  • Notification of your invoice will be sent to you by email in July for fall semester, December for spring semester and April for summer semester.
  • To share your student account or financial aid information with a parent, guardian or advocate, grant FERPA authorization.
  • Visit the Billing and Payments website for detailed billing, payment, due date and refund information.
  • Consider Tuition Insurance.
Step 5: Exit Counseling and Repayment
  • If you received a federal loan, you are required to complete Exit Counseling upon exiting the university, dropping to less than half-time enrollment status or graduating.
  • View your current loan amounts and find your loan servicer at
  • Create an online account with your loan servicer (the company that handles the repayment process of your loans for the Department of Education).
  • Work with your loan servicer to determine your repayment plan. Repayment will begin six months after you graduate, withdraw or fall below half-time enrollment.

Other Financial Scenarios

If you have unique circ*mstance related to your financial aid eligibility or award, — such as a Verification or Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirement, summer financial aid or transferring — you can find answers to those questions and more below.

  • Aid Recalculation Due to Enrollment Activities (such as withdrawing from a class, repeating coursework, adding a class and academic leaves)
  • Education Abroad and Financial Aid
  • Financial Aid Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement
  • Post Undergraduate, Graduate Non-Degree, Undeclared or Combined Students
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
  • Special Circ*mstances
  • Summer Financial Aid
  • Transfer Students
  • Verification

What's Next

Be one step closer to joining our Golden Flashes family!

Apply Now

Visit or Tour

Request Info

Financial, Billing and Enrollment Center

Street Address

First Floor, University Library (Kent Campus)

Mailing Address

800 E. Summit St.Kent, OH 44242

Contact Us

Phone 330-672-6000 | Fax 330-672-6001

Quick Links

  • Important Dates
  • Contact Us
  • Provide Feedback
  • Admissions
  • CARES Center
  • Accessibility
  • Annual Security Reports
  • Emergency Information
  • For Our Alumni
  • For the Media
  • Health Services
  • Privacy Statement
  • HEERF CARES/CRRSAA/ARP Act Reporting and Disclosure
  • Website Feedback
Financial Aid Checklist (2024)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Madonna Wisozk

Last Updated:

Views: 5579

Rating: 4.8 / 5 (48 voted)

Reviews: 95% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Madonna Wisozk

Birthday: 2001-02-23

Address: 656 Gerhold Summit, Sidneyberg, FL 78179-2512

Phone: +6742282696652

Job: Customer Banking Liaison

Hobby: Flower arranging, Yo-yoing, Tai chi, Rowing, Macrame, Urban exploration, Knife making

Introduction: My name is Madonna Wisozk, I am a attractive, healthy, thoughtful, faithful, open, vivacious, zany person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.